After losing so much hair earlier this year, hair is a bit of a sensitive subject for me. I have found myself gravitating towards hair care articles online and in magazines. I have read through miles of rubbish but these are some good hair habits tips that I have come across over the years:
1. Relax. Stress and worry can lead to hair loss, I am a testament to this one. I was so stressed and anxious that I lost a third of my hair (which is starting to grow back now). When I feel anxiety taking hold I go for a walk in the park or I paint. Find what it is that takes your mind of things and enjoy some relaxation. I’d be lying if I said that I ever switch off completely but walking in a wooded area calms me. Somehow being around nature puts things in perspective.
2. Use cold water: Rinse shampoo and conditioner with cool water to enhance shine, preserve hair colour and tighten the cuticle.
3. Cover up: On holiday cover your hair with a hat to protect your hair colour from fading or bleaching.
4. Rinse chlorine: Avoid chlorinated water, it affects hair health and hair colour. If you do get chlorine in your hair rinse with water after you get out of the pool. Those with highlights and artifial blondes should be very careful, I always see blondes with a green tinge to their hair lying around the pool on holiday. (if that happens use ketchup to neutralise)
5. Trim: Get a little trim every 6 to 8 weeks, even if your growing your hair. This keeps split ends, frizz and breakage at bay.
6. Minimize heat: Hair fries unfortunately. Use the lowest setting on your hair tools that you can get away with and try wait until your hair is 75% dry before you apply any heat.
7. Diet: Eat a balanced diet rich in minerals, vitamins and protein. Flax seed oil is great for hair health. Ensure you have plenty of biotin, iron, iodine, vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acids.
8. Sun Filter: Use a sun filter spray to protect hair from over drying in the sun. These sprays also protect your colour. I never go away without sun filter spray, I particularly like Lee Stafford, Redken and Avon.
What are your hair tips?